The Design Integration and Synthesis Platform to Advance Tightly Coupled Hybrid Energy Systems (DISPATCHES) project, is being developed and used to identify and optimize Integrated Energy Systems for operation within the bulk power system via energy market signals.
DISPATCHES is part of the DOE Grid Modernization Laboratory Consortium (GMLC).
Deployment of integrated hybrid energy systems is expected to increase in coming years and no single platform exists for dynamic modeling of these systems as they interact with the bulk power system. Addresses 3 major challenges:
Conceptual design of novel hybrid systems in a way that enables rigorous exploration of the design space
Values the output of the hybrid system within the context of the grid and region it is deployed
Detailed dynamic models coupled with nonlinear model predictive control based on market signals
Open, transparent, multi-lab computational platform to support the design, optimization, and analysis of tightly coupled hybrid systems. Demonstrate and quantify the benefits of potential hybrid systems based on 3 case studies:
Coal (existing and Coal FIRST) with energy storage, etc.
Existing nuclear with hydrogen production and utilization
Renewables with dispatchable options (batteries, NGCC)
Build on DOE investments in modeling and simulation capabilities to support a resilient, reliable, and cost-effective bulk power system.
Idaho National Laboratory
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
National Energy Technology Laboratory (Lead institution)
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Sandia National Laboratories
University of Notre Dame
- Getting Started
- Unit Models
- Model Libraries
- Examples (Jupyter notebooks)
- Renewables Case Study: Conceptual Design Optimization
- Renewables Case Study: Double Loop Optimization
- Conceptual Design of Ultra-Supercritical Power Plant Integrated with Thermal Energy Storage System
- Double-loop Framework Implementation with Fossil Case: Integrated Ultra-supercritical Power Plant Model
- Integrated Model for an Ultra-supercritical Power Plant with Thermal Energy Storage System
- Integrated Energy Systems: Nuclear Case Study
- Nuclear Case Study - Double Loop Workflow
- Market Analysis with Integrated Ultra-supercritical Power Plant Model: Pricetaker Assumption
- Fossil Case: Ultra-Supercritical Power Plant
- DISPATCHES Workflow
- License Agreement
- Copyright Notice